Sunday 13 April 2014

Touch of Evil (1958 Orson Welles)

Restored version of incredibly atmospheric thriller about police corruption on Mexican-American border town opens with the famous, amazing four minute tracking shot, and it's a pleasure to see it unobscured by credits.

Some of its style seems to anticipate Soy Cuba

Very wonderfully shot by Russell Metty, having fun with a crane - this is perhaps why he wasn't shooting Tarnished Angels for Sirk. Love the silhouette of the acid thrower just before the attack.

The very nervy night porter is none other than Dennis Weaver! Joseph Calleia, Ray Collins, Charlton Heston (who stupidly completely deserts his wife Janet Leigh on their honeymoon), Marlene Dietrich (as world weary as you can get), Orson Welles himself (a portrait of degeneration) and the great Akim Tamiroff.

One of the best last lines in cinema: "What does it matter what you say about people?" In Marlene's own words: "I think I was terrific in that. I think I never said a line as well as the last line in that movie...Wasn't I good there? I don't know why I said it so well. And I looked so good in that dark wig. It was Elizabeth Taylor's..." (Peter Bogdonovich, Who the Hell's in it?, 2005 ed. p.377.)

No comments:

Post a Comment