Sunday 27 January 2013

Nostalghia (1983 Andrei Tarkovsky)

Written by Tarkovsky and Tonino Guerra.

Oleg Yankovskiy

I described it to Q as being like a Terence Malick film, only more so, with its hypnotic scenes such as the hotel room when it begins to rain (no one does rain like Tarkovsky), and the steamy public baths, shot by Moretti regular Giuseppe Lanci. In fact the light was coming and going in the room too, like the film was spreading out into real life. There's also an outstanding montage involving a pregnant woman, and somehow, a man carrying a candle across an empty swimming pool is thoroughly gripping.

There's a feeling  which I think I only get from Tarkovsky where I actually feel a transcendence like I'm being moved into something better, like, I guess, experiencing a religious vision.


Water, and a dog. Where have we seen this before?

No comments:

Post a Comment